The world’s universities debate championship ( WUDC) is an annual debate competition organized for all universities in the world. This year’s WUDC was hosted virtually by Serbia. it had about 384 teams from over 200 universities in the world.
KNUST was represented by 3 teams. They represented the region with other universities like University of Ghana, University of Pretoria, University of Cape Coast and Convenant University. Europe ,The Americas, Australia and Asia were represented by teams from Oxford University School of Economics, Princeton University, University of Zagreb, University of Singapore, Cornell University and other prestigious universities around the globe.
After 9 preliminary rounds of Debate, Team KNUST Z , Vincent Johnson Attakpah and Prosper-Michael Ametu, was the only team from Africa to qualify for the elimination stage of the tournament with a record 17 points out of a possible 27.
The team sailed through the quarterfinals and ended their run in the semi finals.
This confers on KNUST several debate milestones that no other University in Africa with the exception of a few Southern Africa Universities like University of Cape Town have reached.
However KNUST is the first university in the West Africa sub region to have achieved all of this even though other institutions in the sub region has made more appearances at WUDC.
These milestones include
- The institution with the highest point tally in the preliminary rounds of WUDC.
- The only non Southern Africa University to have reached the semi finals of the tournament
- The only non Southern Africa University to have qualified to the knockout stage of the tournament in 2 iterations
This feat comes at the back of the teams from KNUST participating and excelling in numerous virtual international tournaments with Institutions like Havard University, London School of Economics, Edinburgh University, Ateneo De manila University and others in order to make it’s third appearance at the debate Olympics since its inception in 1981 a memorable one .
KNUST has carried the name of Africa, West Africa and Ghana once again.
Other notable feats of the KNUST DEBATE SOCIETY in regional and national debate championship are;
Pan-African Universities Debating Championship
- Only institution to have won the PAUDC 3x consecutively – 2018, 2019, and 2020 ( the other 2 institutions that have won it thrice are from Southern in Africa sub region )
- First institution from West Africa to make finals ( 2017)
- First and only institution from Non Southern Africa University to win the tournament ( 2019)
- Only institution in Africa with the highest number of successive finals ( 1 team in 2018 and 2019; 2 teams in every regional final from 2019, 2020, 2021 )
Ghana Universities Debate Championship
- institution with the most trophies ( 4/7)
- Institution with the highest win streak ( 2018, 2017, 2016 , 2015 )
- Only institution in Ghana with the highest number of successive finals ( at least 1 and at most 3 teams in every final of all 7 editions )
KNUST has proven themselves over and over again as best Debating Institution on the Continent.